Pages

Friday 30 May 2008

The End of Single Player Games?

Phil Harrison, one time boss of Sony Worldwide Studios, now steering Atari towards the light, believes that single player games' time is up:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/single-player-games-on-the-way-out-says-phil-harrison

I have to say that I just don't agree. Yes, people like multiplayer and online aspects, but that doesn't mean they don't also like single player experiences (indeed there is still a majority of next-gen console owners who aren't online).

I for one tend to enjoy single player games on a console much more than most multiplayer experiences, this is really why I bought a console in the first place. To me a console game is lounging on the sofa in front of the TV taking a game at my own pace. I find playing multiplayer games on my PC over the LAN at work much more exciting than facing some unknown on the internet.

I think there is plenty of future left in the single player market. Sure there may be online aspects, one in particular is episodic content.

No comments: