Pages

Thursday 19 June 2008

Exploration in Games

Pretty interesting article on exploration in games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1856

I for one really enjoyed Oblivion, still keep meaning to go back to it, as I was about 100 hours in and only halfway through the main quest. But GTA IV came and interrupted my Oblivion session. With GTA IV story complete I'm thinking of returning, but to be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered.

The problem with these games is that they are such a time sap. It's all too easy to get lost in them, just wandering around the worlds taking it all in. Then you hit a certain point and you think, why am I actually bothering with this?

I tend to have better experiences with linear, narrative-driven games than with exploration games. I find them more focused, shorter and more succinct. I tend to remember parts of them in greater detail than I do with exploration games. Having said that, both Oblivion and GTA IV had stand out quests / missions that really do stick in my mind. Getting trapped in a painting in Oblivion was a fantasticly imaginative quest. The Heat style gun battle in GTA IV was easily my favorite section of the game.

Truth is, I do love exploration games, but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth (and family orientated) to sit through 100 hours of game. I need short bursts these days, and they say it's the younger generation that have short attention spans?

No comments: